Southern Marsh Orchids

Southern Marsh Orchids

Saturday 12 October 2013

Fungi etc.

I spent an enjoyable couple of hours down at Coed Y Bedw on thursday - plenty of amazing fungi about. I admit to knowing next to nothing about fungi but they're certainly pretty abundant at the moment. I believe this one is stag's horn fungus Xylaria hypoxylon?
I don't know whether I'd describe the next one as attractive or not but it's certainly striking. Not technically a fungus but a myxomycete or slime mold. I think it is Fuligo septica or charmingly known as dog's vomit slime mold...
There were also plenty of the more 'traditional' toadstool-type fungi but I don't know the name of this one - can anyone point me in the right direction please? It was frequent at Coed Y Bedw:


3 comments:

  1. I always prefer the name "Flowers of Tan" to "Dog Vomit" for this one Vaughn, but all the slime moulds are interesting and have a certain air of mystery about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a long time since I looked at fungi in any detail but I am pretty sure you are spot on with Xylaria hypoxylon, a species which is sometimes known as Candlesnuff fungus (which is a pretty good description of it really!).

    As Mark says the slime moulds are a fascinating group (their life cycle would not be out of place in a sci-fi film), and there is a very good chance that this is F septica, but I believe there are some similar looking possibilities out there.

    As for the third, I haven't a clue, but it is often handy to get a shot of the underside of the cap if you can for id purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flowers of Tan is definitely a nicer name but dog vomit is certainly pretty accurate! Thanks for the info Adam; I will have to read up about slime moulds...

    ReplyDelete