Southern Marsh Orchids

Southern Marsh Orchids

Saturday 1 March 2014

Jumping spiders

There were two species of Salticid spiders out in the sun in the garden today.  Both have the row of forward pointing eyes with large anterior medians that are so distinctive of the Salticidae family. 

The first one I saw was either Heliophanus cupreus or flavipes. I can't make out which because it is a juvenile specimen and it's not really possible to make out the leg markings (which are the other useful identifying feature) from the photo.  Both species can be present together, although from memory previous mature specimens from here have been flavipes.  The yellow palps are an even more day-glo colour in life than is obvious from the photo and are used in elaborate courtship dances.

Heliophanus cupreus/flavipes?

The second species which (like H cupreus and flavipes) is very common, was probably Salticus scenicus more commonly known as the Zebra spider from the black and white markings on its thorax and abdomen.  I say probably because again it was an immature specimen.

Salticid spiders stalk and actively hunt their prey rather than set webs and wait.  Those large eyes give very acute vision, and they will track and follow any nearby moving object even turning to peer intently at your face or camera as it looms toward them.
Salticus scenicus?

5 comments:

  1. Great little things, aren't they? It is striking the way a pair of relatively large, forward facing eyes tends to make a creature, whether it be an owl, bush baby or a jumping spider, seem more familiar and friendlier to us. I wonder if the forward facing eyes leads us to automatically place and anthropomorphic interpretation on the features and more or less see a human like facial arrangement? Nice photos, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are fascinating little things. I think you are right about the big central pair of eyes giving a certain 'cuteness' which is very lacking in most of the rest of the arachnids! I think it's also that they will turn their heads and very obviously be watching you, although presumably that is all pure instinct on their part. Having said that their rapid, staccato way of moving is quite alien and otherwordly.

    It's a good time of year to photograph things like this for me, just warm enough to bring them out in the open, but not so warm they won't sit still for a few seconds. Even so I took about 25 shots to get a couple that were useable with the little point and press Sony. What I could really do with is a lens for my big Nikon that would allow me to take shots like these from about a foot away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you need is the Sigma 105mm f 2.8 EX DG OS HSM macro lens, which would allow a good working distance, at 1:1 and is a better lens than the micro Nikkor equivalent. It's the lens I would like to replace my Nikkor 60mm with.

      Delete
    2. I may have to wait till Xmas for one of those Mark, but I will keep an eye on ebay in the meantime!

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean, Adam. I want that, but I also need a new x40 objective and x10 measuring eyepiece for my compound microscope. The latter two are the least expensive, so I expect the lens will have to wait til another year.

    ReplyDelete