Southern Marsh Orchids

Southern Marsh Orchids

Sunday 16 August 2015

Long Hoverfly query

Garden watching before lunch and caught this hoverfly on Shasta Daisy - could this be a female Long Hoverfly (Sphaerophoria scripta) ?


Also noticed an Ensign Fly, possibly Sepsis fulgen



On Tuesday I spotted an odd-looking little beastie hunting on the Shasta Daisies but didn't have a clue as to what it was. When trying to identify a recently caught lacewing I found a very similar image to one I had taken. I now think that these images may be larva and adult of a Green Lacewing - Chrysoperia carnea.



I would be grateful for confirmation/correction of my IDs.

2 comments:

  1. I think the female Sphaerophoria need dissection to ID with certainty I'm afraid. The green lacewings are tricky from photos - this one could equally be Cunctochrysa albolineata, which also has a pale stripe along its back. And yes, that is definitely a lacewing larva.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks George. Both male and female of that Sphaerophoria sp paid visits last week .... in the brief spells of sunshine between the downpours.

    ReplyDelete